9) The protest in your local town campaign
If you have not read through all of the campaigns yet and the introduction then please read them all in full in the link below.
1) The only thing I ask is that each member of the UK Targeted community please support the campaigns in the above link by working through them one by one until every campaign has been done by every UK TI. We are also of course asking for much-needed brave members of the public to help our campaigns and cause them to go viral (like it deserves to be!).
2) Please put these campaigns down on your to-do list and set about working through these campaigns one by one until they are ALL ticked off your to-do list. Can you imagine every TI in the country doing these campaigns? Then we would finally be an organized force that the UK authorities finally could not ignore!
That said, let's talk about the protest in your local town campaign...
This campaign is designed to bring the UK Targeted Individual movement onto the streets or into the 'physical' reality. Virtually all of our activism efforts and campaigns are online. This needs to change! More Targeted Individuals need to be out on the streets in the real world protesting (preferably in large groups!).
While this may be one of the least important due to it being less direct a method than going straight to the people in power it is still important.
I am recommending everyone at some point starts to protest week in week out on the streets in their local big city/ town.
First though we need to start making connections with people who live around us. Then we can organize these protests with numbers that are as large as possible.
If you cannot find people from your local town or city then make friends with other Targeted Individuals in the nearest big city or town where there are enough of you to form a group. While in some cases there may only be 2 or 3 of you this is still better than one. If you cannot find any near by you then be brave and protest on your own. This cause is worth it. In some cases it may be worth travelling further afield to one of the major 8 or 9 major cities if there are not many TI's you can find in your nearest big city or town. Major cities I would classify as London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, Swansea and Belfast. Please also note that you have to be a bit creative and persistent in finding local TI's near you. The ways in which you can do this are by...
1. Putting a post in my Group... Targeted Individuals Campaigns UK (official group of Targeted UK website) | Facebook to see if there are other TI's near you. This is a good group to do this in now because this group I run is now the official Targeted UK website group.
2. Or any other local or national TI Facebook group.
3. Putting posts out on Twitter
4. Doing a You Tube video to ask if there are local TI's around you etc.
I would estimate that in any medium sized city there are at least around 5-10 'active' TI's around you who you could meet up to protest with.
Once you all agree on a set time to do it every week then it becomes easier. This is because you have all agreed and committed on a big decision and that takes a huge weight off your shoulders once made. It also makes it easier when you agree on a set time every week because you can form a habit much easier when you don't always have to be thinking about when you need to be doing the next protest. When no regular set date and time is agreed upon (e.g. every Saturday at 11am-1pm) then the next protest/s will simply never happen.
There is almost no point in doing something once. Its consistent regular protesting we need. Imagine if Targeted Individuals in every town were to protest every Saturday 11am until 2pm in the same spot in the town centre over 1 or 2 years. It would not take long until a good amount of the town knew about the programme. Once a week at least is the goal that Targeted Individuals should aim for. Daily if they have time and especially if they off work. That being said, raising awareness is never enough. The protesting groups would have to go to each protest with goals or 'outcomes' to achieve from the public. I AM ASKING TARGETED INDIVIDUALS IF THEY CAN ASK THE PUBLIC TO RESEARCH IT FULLY (GIVE GOOD CREDIBLE LINKS OF COURSE) AND THEN WRITE IN TO TEN DOWNING STREET TO DEMAND THAT THESE HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES BE STOPPED.
The public would need to use the same email contact form (see link below) as the ones that UK Targeted Individuals were using to write in as part of Campaign no 4 (flood 10 Downing street with emails/ letters) for it to be effective and consistent with our campaign.
Or write a letter here...
The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP
10 Downing Street
Please see the Targeted Individual flyer here which I recommend all use...
In addition to this I recommend that you put your intention for the public on the flyer which as we said earlier is...
1. To research all aspects of this fully and most importantly...
2. ...To contact 10 Downing Street. Please put the web address and mailing address above.
Whilst doing the protesting here are some basic helpful tips...
1. Network and make connections. Get telephone numbers and email addresses and ask to meet them in future if they can help in any way (especially if they are a journalist!). Then keep following up and staying in contact without putting too much pressure on them which may scare them off (its a fine balance). That said we need to be persistent enough too and not let things go stale.
2. When handing out flyers aim to always engage them in discussion rather than just handing out.
3. If too many people are crowded round and handing flyers out in the same area then people may not take your flyer. Sometimes if is wise to spread out and even hand out flyers slightly further down the street before they get to the main part of your protest as they will be more willing to accept it when there is less pressure and noise.
4. MAKE SOME NOISE! - USE A LOUDSPEAKER AND LEARN ABOUT HOW TO PUBLIC SPEAK (WATCH GOOD PUBLIC SPEAKERS ETC). ONLY SHOUT OUT CREDIBLE INFOMRATION AND REALIZE THE PUBLICS LIMITS OF WHAT THEY MAY BE ABLE TO ACCEPT.
5. All should bring banners and signs. A protest is virtually useless without this as many will pass not even knowing what the protest is about.
6. There of course should be sufficient flyers.
7. People can take turns to lead each week, organize resources, whatever works!
8. Also aim to get local media TV channels and newspapers to report this by networking with them and inviting them down.
Staying in touch may be best with a Facebook or twitter message group but whatever works.
I would also like to say to film your protests and share them to inspire others. Also, post on the Targeted UK forum here about your protests and the results...
PLEASE ALSO PROTEST OUTSIDE YOUR MP's OFFICE IF THEY REPEATEDLY FAIL TO LISTEN TO YOU AND EXPOSE THE FACT THAT THEY ARE IGNORING YOU. I recommend that every TI either do it in one of the following places...
1. The busiest area in the town centre with the most footfall.
2. Outside their MPs office if they fail to listen to you repeatedly (only in this situation).
3. Outside your town hall may also be a good potential venue.
To summarize while it may not be the most prioritized and essential campaign (other campaigns higher up the number list are more focused and co-ordinated for national team work). However, this is a good campaign that will really help people take this out into the real world and raise general awareness. It is therefore more what I would deem a good long term general public awareness strategy. Put simply, please remember there is always a greater effect in activism by speaking to people personally than just posting online.